What to do if Your Pet Eats Human Food
You come into the kitchen and find a fiasco! Your pet has gotten into the food you left on the counter – or maybe they even broke into a cabinet or the trash! It’s upsetting enough when your pet gets into your food, but now we also have to worry about the effects of the food they ate.
Below will give you a quick reference on what to do once you find your pet has gotten into human food.
- The first step is to figure out what your pet ate and how much. For a dog, a bag of potato chips is going to cause many different concerns than a bag of chocolate chips. Once you know the food in question, you should refer to the following website to determine if it is toxic.
- If you find out the food is toxic, it is important to call the poison control number at (888) 426-4435. While this phone call does cost money, it will help you determine if the food your pet ate might cause an emergency as well as the treatment options. You will be able to take this information to your veterinarian to get your pet the quick and necessary help it needs to prevent serious illness!
- If you do not see the food listed on the list as toxic, it is best to either call or make an appointment with your veterinarian to discuss your options for minimizing any illness from human food exposure.
In the end, while not all human foods will make your pet sick, it is best to confirm with your veterinarian or poison control to ensure we do not miss a window of opportunity to prevent serious illness.