Director of Marketing
About This Position
Director of Marketing
Greater Philadelphia Area, Currently Remote
Heart + Paw, a rapidly growing startup committed to treating pets, pet parents, and our team like family, is in search of an experienced and dynamic Director of Marketing. We are looking for an individual with a strong background in growth marketing to lead our initiatives and drive the expansion of our brand in the pet and veterinary space.
As the Director of Marketing, you will lead the marketing function in its entirety, focusing on branding, digital strategy, go-to-market strategy, life cycle and growth marketing, and internal and external communication. The role is hands-on and will be both strategic (20%) and tactical in nature (80%+ of the time). The ideal candidate for this role will have a deeply entrenched marketing background in all facets of the veterinary and pet care space with a proven track record in growth marketing.
- Lead the development and execution of comprehensive growth marketing strategies tailored to the unique needs of the pet and veterinary market.
- Proactively stay updated on consumer trends in the veterinary and pet care industry.
- Drive marketing strategy from concept to execution, ensuring creative and resource-conserving solutions.
- Utilize analytics tools to gain insights into millennial and millennial-minded pet parents, as well as competitors in the pet care and veterinary space.
- Collaborate with the senior management team in developing and executing marketing strategy, with a deep focus on demand creation and consumer trial and retention.
- Assess appropriate marketing-related budgets, tactics, media, messages, and teams to generate sustained, long-term sales growth.
- Refine marketing-related reporting and KPIs to evaluate the efficacy of marketing efforts.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts in marketing initiatives and other aspects of the business.
- Work with third-party marketing resources and vendors, including our performance marketing agency.
- Recruit, hire, develop, and train future marketing team members, andmanage and mentor current team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing/ Communications/Business Administration or related area required.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience in marketing and consumer-focused initiatives, with an emphasis on growth marketing, digital media and social media. 2 years of experience in veterinary related industry or healthcare is preferred.
- Consumer retail marketing experience required, especially within a fast-growing, trend-setting brand.
- Experience overseeing a marketing team preferred, including developing team members.
- Start-up DNA is a must-have with an ability to constantly innovate, adapt, test, and learn.
- Prior experience as a marketing-oriented leader of private equity-backed company is highly preferred.
- Ability and desire to thrive in a smaller, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
Skills and Expertise
- Strong experience in growth marketing.
- Ability to acquire customers/patients and to plan and lead strategy for customer engagement initiatives.
- Marketing leader able to innovatively drive consumer demand creation in early-stage businesses.
- Deep digital expertise as well as experience with local/hyperlocal community marketing techniques.
- Multi-channel marketing expertise, focus on consumer-facing services.
- Experience in branding and brand development and campaign creation preferred.
- Expertise in technical demands of marketing specifically related to digital content/content creation, social media, website, and consumer facing products.
- Expertise in creating, editing and distributing graphic content.
- Experience and leadership in working with media outlets and maximizing ROI via paid media (Meta, Print, Google, etc).
- Comfort with creating a data-driven marketing culture using analytics to measure ROI for campaigns, creating and managing budgets and presenting to senior management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the dynamics of consumer, multi-site retail and/or multi-site healthcare.
- Familiarity with key third-party service providers and vendors of marketing-related products and services.
- Experience in a private equity backed environment with an appreciation for the smaller company environment which tends to be fast, nimble and resource-constrained as compared to a large corporation.
- Ability to create and empower a team to work under their leadership.
- Superb full scale project management capabilities; ability to see a project from start to finish.
- Excellent interpersonal skills ability to communicate effectively up and down the organization as well as externally.
- Leader who demonstrates discipline and resolve to deliver results, leads with passion, operates with humility, and takes personal accountability for success.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed, including at least 2x a month to the Philadelphia area and other travel as needed.
- Dedication to creating a strong, industry-leading organization with the utmost priority placed on ensuring a high-quality consumer experience.
Personal Attributes + Values
- Purpose-driven leader
- Self-motivated and accountable mindset
- Collaborative team member and inquisitive thirst for knowledge and improvement
- High sense of urgency
- Growth-focused, acquisitive mindset
- Selfless, low-ego individual who gives credit to others rather than themselves
- Moves quickly to fix problems and make people moves
- Outstanding communication skills and presence with a transparent communication style
- High integrity
Heart + Paw is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.